Employing dendrochronology, we could determine that soon after the fire around 1717 the timber-frame construction was re-erected on top of the centuries-old, clearly longer vaulted cellar. Since both of the neighbouring houses were already renewed, this narrow house could be built in the gap between the two buildings quite economically without own gables. In the 19th century the owners, mostly tailors and carpenters, generally only made mandatory conversions (Russian chimneys instead of wooden chimneys; wastewater and drinking water installations). Only in the 20th century the housetop changed: the eyebrow dormer was removed and modern interlocking tiles were attached, the inner structure on the ground floor was modified. On the first floor, however, the housing situation at the time of construction could easily be traced: the living room with a stuccoed ceiling facing the street, chamber and hall with fireplace facing the courtyard. At the rear exit stone stairs led down into the courtyard below.
The two-storey neighbouring house Steinweg 26 with the wide gate was immediately rebuilt after the “Pulverschlag” on top of the old cellars: The wood had been lumbered in winter 1713/14. By the way: The oldest barrel vault, built in the 16th century at the latest, verifies due to a bricked passage towards No. 25 that both premises once possibly belonged together.
On the large property the old-established “Wildpretshändler” (game and venison merchant) Albert Hauck opened a public house in 1852, just at the time when the “Thüringer Hof” on Steinweg (No. 17/18) went out of business. Already the next year Hauck sold the property including the restaurant to Zacharias Eberling, who probably had moved from Schkortleben, and moved to Engelgasse himself. However, Eberling meaningfully named his public house “Zur Zufriedenheit” only in 1859.
In 1904, after a thorough renovation, Richard Hörig, a later successor of Eberling, wanted to continue operating the public house under the name “Hotel-Restaurant Zufriedenheit.” For this reason and in the context of granting a concession, a police sergeant had to inspect the inn: the restaurant by the gate in the front building, all of the ten guest rooms in the two-storey side wing, the club room (already with hardwood floor) and the dormitory in the two-storey building in the back. He concluded, that even “people of a higher rank” could lodge here. Hotelier Hörig, thus, maintained his concession. Probably then, Hörig, too, had the house facade improved with the attractive gable lucarne in “old-German style” and both of the stone balls. He also had the head of a cask inscribed with the dictum attached to the gable.
In 1937, the leaseholder of the Bad Köstritz Brewery, meanwhile the owner of the public house, also purchased Steinweg 27 from the heirs of carpenter Buttler. Four years later he had the ramshackle side wing of No. 27, now standing in the centre of the courtyard, torn down. In doing so a spacious courtyard area had formed. Elsa Funke, managing the hotel together with her husband Paul at that time, continued the business at least until 1949.
During the 1970s the county leadership of the FDJ (FDJ or “Freie Deutsche Jugend” was the organisation for teenagers in the GDR) lodged in the former public house. From the 1980s the puppet theatre “Puppenbühne” used the side wing for storage. In 1991 the Kreissparkasse planned to open a branch bank at this address, which is why doors and windows had been renewed. However, the building did go into decline and the time of the vacancy began.
In January 2017, we celebrated the opening of the new “Gasthof Zufriedenheit.” Behind the house facade, largely reconstructed true to original (addition of four shed dormers, relocation of the courtyard entry) our guests find a modern hotel with wine bar, restaurant and sunlit courtyard. Our 15 rooms and two suites are located in the courtyard extension, just as before, and one maisonette suite in the main building. In the end, the building history, rich in tradition, is not lost entirely: At least the sizeable vaulted cellar of Steinweg 27 has been preserved and, of course, the old cask head with the meaningful assertion on the new gable.